Formatting Template Generator
What is included in your template:
- Different Trim Sizes to choose from
- 2 Separate Styles to choose from:
- Fiction & Nonfiction
- Front Matter:
- Title Page & Copyright Page
- Table of Contents
- Back Matter:
- About the Author
- Margins & Gutters already set
- Properly displayed Page Numbers
- Drop Cap in Fiction Templates
We’ve created this FREE Formatting Templates tool so you can quickly and easily format your book with these Microsoft Word templates – without having to make the mistakes so many new authors are often making.
INSTRUCTIONS – How to Use the Formatting Templates
Select the trim size you wish to use for your book.
Choose between a fiction or nonfiction formatting template.
Enter the email you would like us to send your template to and click the Send My Template, Please button.
It should only take a few minutes to receive your template. If it takes longer, please make sure to also check your spam and promotional folders, just in case.
NOTE: Because of the way this tool is set up, we can send each template only once for each trim size, so be sure to make an extra copy of it and save it in a safe spot so you can use it for your current as well as your future books.
Formatting Tips When Using These Formatting Templates
Each FREE template was created in Microsoft Word, so Microsoft Word is required to properly use the templates for the formatting of your book.
We’ve created formatting templates for 5 of the most common trim sizes:
- 5 x 8
- 5.25 x 8
- 5.5 x 8.5
- 6 x 9
- 5.06 x 7.81
And since the formatting is slightly different for fiction and nonfiction books, we went ahead and also created a version for each.
Here are some tips on how to best use your new formatting template:
- TRIM SIZE: Your trim size has already been set for you. To change your trim size, go to PAGE LAYOUT, click on SIZE, select CUSTOM SIZE, and change it to your desired trim size. Be sure to apply your changes to the entire document by selecting WHOLE DOCUMENT from the dropdown menu. Then click OK.
- MARGINS & GUTTER: Your margins & gutter have already been set for you. To change any of these features, simply go to PAGE LAYOUT, click on MARGINS, and make your desired changes. Be sure to apply your changes to the entire document by selecting WHOLE DOCUMENT from the dropdown menu. Then click OK.
- AUTHOR NAME: The author name will appear on the top of every right page, beginning in the actual body of your book, except on chapter pages. To insert your own name, right-click AUTHOR NAME, and then click Edit Header. Now type your own name in the AUTHOR NAME area.
- BOOK TITLE: The book title will appear on the top of every left page, beginning in the actual body of your book, except on chapter pages. To insert your own book title, right-click BOOK TITLE, and then click Edit Header. Now type your own book title in the BOOK TITLE area.
- TABLE OF CONTENTS: To update your Table of Contents once you have completed pasting in your book, simply right-click the table, select UPDATE FIELD and click on UPDATE PAGE NUMBERS ONLY. Then click OK.
- DROP CAPS: To make any adjustments to your drop caps, it’s best to wait until you’ve completed formatting the rest of your book. To move it, simply click on each drop cap, and drag it into the desired place. To resize it, click on it, select it, and change it to your desired font size.
Formatting Templates – Final Thoughts
Thanks for checking out this Formatting Templates tool. We hope you find this new and free tool helpful when it comes to formatting your book without going completely bonkers.
Happy writing, formatting, and sharing!