Book marketing is an extremely important part of a self-publisher’s success. But it can also be confusing.
That's why I've broken down the process into 3 phases and given you a guide for each step.
Honestly, if I were to write a complete book on Modern Online Book Marketing, this would be EXACTLY IT. So, enjoy it for free.
Phase 1: Before You Write Your Book
3. Choose the Right Software for Writing Your Book: Writing a legit book can be very complicated. Luckily there is book writing software out there that will help.
4. Plan and Outline Your Book: Creating a good outline for your book is a recipe for success. (KM Weiland)
Phase 2: Putting Your Book Together
1. Select a Bestselling Title: Here is a list of smart and savvy ways in which you can legitimately create a potential bestselling title.
2. Create a Subtitle that Explains and Wows: Subtitles are very important for not only helping you rank, but also convincing the customer to buy, and here's how to do that.
3. Create an Eye-Catching Book Cover for Cheap: Step-by-step process to creating and designing an affordable, yet legitimate, book cover.
6. Get Professional and Affordable Editing: Access my list of top yet affordable editors categorized by their specialty and rates.
8. Choose the Right Book Categories: Step-by-step process to finding and selecting the right categories that will help you be a continual bestseller.
9. How to Add Your Book to 10 Categories: Step-by-step process to getting Amazon to add your book to 10 kindle categories and 10 book categories.
10. Create Your Amazon Author Page: This page will help sell your book by allowing you to create an editorial section, as well as make your sales page more legit.
11. Write the Perfect Author Bio: This isn't your resume. It's an opportunity to personalize and build rapport with your readers and here's how.
Phase 3: Book Launch Time
1. Make Sure to Track Your Book Sales: As you begin your marketing effort, it is vital that you track your book sales and see which efforts produced the best results.
5. Setup Facebook Ads (optional): Here is an initial step-by-step to FB Ads for books, but I recommend you only do this step if you're ready to spend time on this skill.
6. Setup BookBub Ads (optional): BookBub is a book market with some serious readers. Just like AMS or Facebook, this is a skill that needs time and attention.
7. Get More Book Reviews: Getting book reviews is critical to your success, and you have to be active about it. So, here is how to get those reviews - even if you're new.
8. Create a Press Release (optional): There is an art and science to doing a book press release. Check out what it takes to make that happen.
Building an Author Platform
1. Build an Author Website: Your website is where you can turn readers into fans. You can collect email addresses, write content, and engage. (Tim Grahl)
2. Use an Email Service: Collecting email addresses so you can send emails to your fans is critical. Choose the right service to build and maintain this important asset.
TOOLS I USE FOR EACH STEP
This is an easy-to-use software that helps authors validate their book ideas by giving them profitable kindle niches and keywords to target. It also helps with AMS ads and selecting categories. It works on both Mac and PC. Publisher Rocket will help you by telling you how much money other books are making, how many people type a keyword phrase into Amazon per month, and how competitive it is. Check it out here.
Here's my favorite tool for helping me find good book reviewers legally. Tell it which book to search and it will go through all Amazon reviewers that left a review for that book and pull their email address (if they allow it to be public, which is about 5-10%). With a couple clicks of a button, you could have a list of favorable reviewers at your disposal. Check it out here.
Scrivener is a must for any serious writer. Sure you can write a book using Microsoft Word, however, Scrivener was designed by authors for authors. It has multiple features that help boost productivity AND help you organize/layout your book. Check out my complete review on Scrivener and my side-by-side comparison of Word vs Scrivener. Also, if you act now, you can get a 20% scrivener discount as well.
My all-time favorite email service, and yes, I have tried them all. Always at the forefront of adapting with the times, GetResponse is user-friendly, reliable, and cheap. Find out exactly how GeResponse compares to Aweber and Mailchimp. You’ll clearly see why it's the best in this article.